Although none of us should drink and drive period, we should be aware of the DUI laws in the state where we live as well as those we travel to.
In the State of Florida, for drivers over 21 the legal limit in Florida is .08. The average cost in penalties (including legal fees, fines and auto insurance increases) in the state of Florida for a first offense DUI is $8000.
Florida Penalties for DUI First Conviction
- Fine – $250 to $500
- Community Service – 50 Hours
- Probation – Not more than 1 Year
- Imprisonment – Not more than 6 Months
- Imprisonment with BAL of .08 or higher with a minor in the vehicle, not more than 9 months
- License Revocation – Minimum of 180 days
- DUI School – 12 Hours
Zero Tolerance for Drivers under 21
Florida has a Zero Tolerance law for drivers under 21. Any driver under 21 that is stopped by law enforcement and has a blood alcohol level of .02 or higher will automatically have their Florida drivers license suspended for 6 months. The .02 limit means that you cannot have one single drink and drive! And that’s the idea.