Law Firm of Scott T. Moorey

Florida's underage drinking laws

If your child has been charged with underage drinking, you may be confused about what Florida’s laws are concerning the crime. We at the Law Firm of Scott T. Moorey realize the stress that parents feel in these situations and are here to help you understand the laws and penalties that your child may be facing.


According to the Alcohol Policy Information System, youth under the age of 21 are not allowed to consume or possess alcohol under any circumstance. Your child is also not allowed to purchase alcohol, even if he or she is buying it for somebody else.


While minors are not allowed to drink alcohol until they reach the age of 21, they can work as a server at a restaurant or other eating establishment that serves alcohol once they become an adult. At 18, they can work as both a bartender and server, but are still not legally allowed to consume alcohol themselves.


If your child is charged with underage drinking, there is another crime that may be connected. Furnishing alcohol to minors is strictly prohibited, meaning that if you provide the alcohol to your child, you may also be guilty of a crime. Any other adult involved in the situation may also be found responsible. If your child used a false ID to secure the alcohol, this could be an additional criminal charge.


When driving, your child can be charged with a criminal offense if he or she is under the age of 21 and has a blood alcohol concentration is above 0.02 percent. For more information on this topic, please visit our web page.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Need Help? Contact Us Today.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

1430 Royal Palm Square Boulevard, Suite 101
Fort Myers, FL 33919

Toll Free: 888-821-9168
Phone: 239-603-6312
Fax: 239-275-6507
Fort Myers Law Office Map